Last week was our company’s anniversary. 7 years ago I woke up, opened my computer, took out my phone and started calling brokers to tell our story of how we could help Americans save on their healthcare. Although the ACA hadn’t passed yet, it was on its way and I was concerned about the high level of out of pocket costs we were already experiencing (wouldn’t you & your clients love to go back to those out-of-pocket $?).
I was reminded of what happened in the Canadian healthcare system in the early 1990s. This gave me the vision to help families save hundreds to thousands on their healthcare with non-insurance benefits like telehealth, advocacy, savings networks & more.
The first 3 years saw lots of failures (good times!). One of which is probably obvious to you today: just installing unique benefits like these wasn’t enough. We needed a turnkey program to educate members and employers how, why, and when to use these tools. Without engagement, those families struggling with costs wouldn’t see savings. And without significant member usage, employers had little reason to keep paying the cost. And if employers stopped buying the services, then you, the broker, would stop offering them up as a solution.
So if member usage, engagement and ultimately, results are the key factors, then how do we measure up on our 7thAnniversary?
Let’s talk RESULTS!
Rather than telling you we get great results, I’ll let a client tell the story for us. The Delta Companies saved $675K over 4 years with non-insurance services. Click the image below to read the quick 2-page Case Study…
In the beginning, I had to describe why telehealth was LEGAL. Now, it’s everywhere! However, where do you see real-life examples of 82% engagement and net savings of $675K? You don’t see it because results require engagement. Most other delivery methods leave engagement to you or the employer, so they just don’t see the same return.
How do we get results TODAY?
We’ve learned a bunch over the years about how to engage members. It’s not rocket-science, but if it was easy to execute, all carriers would do it. Here are some of the main tactics
- Turn-key monthly communication: we send email campaigns & have a library of engaging materials (flyers, posters, table tents) – including years of testimonials & how-to save on healthcare blogs
- Amazing app & portal technology: we make it easy for members to use all the services at their fingertips
- Printed booklets & plastic cards: for all members, because some folks just want plastic!
- Getting Started call: for larger groups so we can help personalize their rollout & communications
- Social proof: via website, videos, social media, national media coverage, etc. When members need us or want to follow, we’re easy to find and fun
While all this is great to engage the member, we also make it easy for you and your client. From installation to eligibility to billing, our focus is best-in-class service with an amazing support team to help when questions arise.
Where are we going TOMORROW?
We’ve got the industry’s highest engagement levels. But we’ve listened to your ideas and are pumped about improving results! How?
- Written Proposal: Contact your rep to provide one for any 50+ group. This document is a great sales tool and will inspire groups to launch with our best practices.
- Performance Guarantee: We SO know we’ll get engagement, that we’ll put our money where our mouth is. If a group will commit to our 3 best practices, and they don’t get 40%+ telehealth usage, we’ll refund member fees. Contact your rep with interested groups.
- Engagement Coordinator: We have a team member dedicated to help groups tap our existing resources and to nudge them toward success. She brings a dozen years experience in HR (and tremendous passion to help employers/employees maximize their benefits).
- Utilization Dashboard: Our proprietary reporting capabilities include an interactive, all-encompassing dashboard highlighting all the ways members use their freshbenies membership.
We want you to be proud to offer freshbenies to your clients! So, keep recommending us to all your groups and we’ll continue to get better in year 8, year 9, year 10… and beyond!
Now it's your turn! What kind of results have you seen with ancillary services? What makes the biggest impact in getting great results? Comment below or email me at email@example.com.